Wednesday, February 22, 2006

COMING UP WITH WAYS TO MAKE MONEY FROM MY SHOW...well, well, well, well... Most of my adult life I've had problems asking for money. I have been told over and over that there is a lot of money out there and it is finally starting to sink in. I do know that there are people out there willing to fund creative/artistic projects that are meaningful. Furthermore, I do know that there are people out there that support my vision and want to see me live it out to the fullest. Some may not be in a position to write me a big fat check but they do know people who know people who may know something about something. I'm just stepping out there on faith and giving it a shot and here's what I think so far...

During the early to mid 90s I worked as a production assistant for an independent filmmaker who mostly survived on the money he made from his production company. I know the chances of making money that way is not for me. You just work too hard sometimes for such little returns unless of course you're an EVAN DONN or somebody like that or something. So, I'm not so sure production is a way to even break even, however, that was then and this is now. I am very open and receptive to feed back and ideas but still haven't come up with it yet.

A while back some friends offered to help me by organizing FUNDRAISERS at some of the local night clubs and community centers; and also asking friends and friends of friends to host HOUSE PARTIES where my audience pay a fee to get in to see my shows and I donate a portion of the collected fees to the particular community center or to a worthy cause, for example Hurrican Katrina victims, Orphan Centers in Africa, etc. (while having my DVDs available for sale at theses functions.

Another option is selling myself via radio. Last year I had an opportunity to have a radio interview about an education doc I'm doing on KKUP's Echoes of Africa 91.5 FM. Interestingly enough, there are those who called in to the station who were interested and as a result, I've been invited to come back on the show, Monday, February 27, 2006. With the knowledge and information I've gained since last year, I'd like to think I'm more prepared to present myself in a bigger and better way. The show airs from 3pm - 6pm every Monday. I will be going on about 4:30. Tune in!

Peace Out!

No comments: