Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Episode 1 PLANETARY LIBERATION

In the first episode I will present a variety of still shots of the children and Oliver with their music as a backdrop. Also a live interview with Oliver Mtukudzi filmed backstage at his 2005 performance at Yoshi's Jazz Supper Club in Oakland, CA.

The media I'm using for the first episode was all shot sometime ago. I have a lot of footage. Mostly stills. It's actually a great big challenge for me because I have so much to choose from. I didn't realize I had so much. But that's okay. Now I get to choose the most powerful pieces to tell a story in 2-3 minutes that make sense to others. The process is very time consuming. This week I will be playing around with creating effects and audio that will give it life. I will be working in After Effects and Final Cut Pro.

As far as audio goes, I will be using the original music. Ntengwe launched a music CD (Tuli Bamuchaala – which translates to We are the Orphans) in which the children wrote and composed their own songs that express their feeling of being alienated from the rest of society. The children recorded this CD along with Oliver Mtukudzi, Zimbabwe’s most popular music maker. I will also use audio from the radio interview I did with Emmanuel Nado of Radio Station KKUP.

I'm very excited at this point. It all feels good. I do feel that this is something I can do on a monthly basis provided I work my ass off getting enough footage for 2-3 episodes per month, while editing 1 episode per month.

Thanks for checking me out.

No comments: