Tuesday, October 02, 2007




The first of this series focus is Oliver Mutakudzi and his band, the Black Spirits and their visit to Oakland, CA. in 2006. I was first acquainted with Oliver during my Ntengwe Visit in 2004. Ntwengwe Community for Development is a not for profit organization based in rural Binga. (See Photo) I spent time in the bush with the people and their experiences with HIV and AIDS. Around that time Oliver recorded a CD with the Ntengwe Orphans entitled Tuli Bumachalla which translates to "We are the Orphans". When I spoke with him in 2005 after his Oakland performance he told me personally that he was amazed at how these children wrote and composed their own songs and how talented these children are in their expressions of being alienated from the rest of society because their parents died of these deadly diseases.

No comments: